Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The tumultuous entrance of Miss Evelynn Ann Part Three

When we first got to the hospital and were getting all set up, they did a little parade of people who would be helping us out during labor. One of them was this amazon woman who was just an impressive presence. I in my little nervous haze asked her if she was good at her job (seriously I asked everyone this who was going to poke me with something that night). She replied with a snippy, "I'm the chief resident". I should sidebar here that I resisted the urge to compare these people with Grey's Anatomy. I almost said "Oh like Bailey?" but I didn't because she was scary and a little pissed off now. I'm pretty sure another reason that I waited on the epidural was that I was seriously hoping there would be a shift change and the scary amazon woman would not be giving me my epidural. Silly me. That woman was amazing. And according to my friend that works in the hospital, she is the best.
The epidural started when I sat up cross legged on the bed and they raised the bed about to the ceiling. The epidural giver was tall remember. She was in a much better mood when she came to me. She hide her scary tray of needles behind the curtain and I never saw them. The only needle that hurts is the numbing one, and it didn't hurt any worse than the IV (in fact the IV one was worse). After that I didn't feel much, but I was still feeling contractions. We would have to stop the procedure and wait for them to be over. Seth was super good about putting my focus on him and helping me breath thru the contractions.
When we were done, (it took about 10 minutes) they had me lie flat on my back for a half hour. At least that was the plan. As soon as I laid done, the trouble started. Basically I almost died. My blood pressure bottomed out, I went pale and sweaty and shakey, and then I started vomiting. At least that is what they tell me. All I remember is thinking "I have to throw up and I'm laying flat on my back, how does this work?"
Eventually I got some speed (ephedrine shot) and perked back up.
Then I felt no more contractions, which was great. I could still feel my legs and move them around, it just felt like they were asleep. And I couldn't feel the contractions which was the most important.
Around seven my Dad showed back up (my Mom had spent the night with us) and all of the sudden I could feel the contractions on my right side. It was the weirdest feeling EVER. One side of my body could feel things and the other couldn't. I found out, because of the blood pressure mishap and almost dying earlier, they had me on the lowest setting of epidural. Also, feeling coming back in one side is a common thing that happens. They turned me on the side I couldn't feel and bumped up the dosage.

Alright, as usual, our little Bird is calling! The nurse is on her way too to check up on us. Greatest thing ever, thanks Sarpy County for the free service, one more reason I will never move out of you!

Love (trying to remember this story three weeks later),
Carrie

3 comments:

  1. I am on the edge of my seat reading the birthing story! It's almost as suspenseful as the last season of LOST:) She is beautiful btw - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part 3 and she's still in the womb?? Hop to it woman!!! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I need candles for a BIRTHDAY!!! Nice story. W.C.C.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.