Monday, March 22, 2010

The tumultuous entrance of Miss Evelynn Ann Part Two

So let's see where was I? Oh yes, the drugs.
So here is a myth I learned in my labor process, you can get an epidural at any time, they usually start offering it when you get uncomfortable or when you are at about three centimeters. Unlike what I and what I assume most people think, the epidural never wears off. It's a continuous pump of medicine that they can turn up or down or even off. Which they eventually do when it's time to push. So in my head, I wanted to save the good stuff for the end because I thought that was when I would need it the most. Stupid me.
I took the fentynol. Which was MAGICAL. I went from zero to drunk in about two seconds. One second I'm in some unreal pain, the next I'm showing the nurses pictures of my cats on my cell phone and telling them stories about my awesome Bengals.
The fentynol lasted about an hour or two, I don't really remember. They kept telling me to rest and get some sleep. My Mom didn't need to be told twice:

I however was too amped up and excited to sleep, so mostly I just laid there and felt the drugs wear off.
Now I'm silly, instead of just calling the nurses to bring me more drugs or schedule my epidural, I just laid there and waited for their next check in of me, which were about two hours apart.
Again, when they came in, I took another round of fentynol, thinking the same effect would happen. In my head I was like, "Maybe I can just do this all on the fentynol!" The second hit of fentynol was nowhere close to the first.
Things got bad. At five I gave in and told them to call the epidural giver. And that's where I'll pick up next time because Birdie beckons me with her screams right now...
Here are some more pictures:





Love (to actually finish this story one day),
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. Wow good luck. It was nearly 19 years ago that we were in your shoes. It has been the greatest ride of my life and it is sure to be the same for you both as well. Tomorrow, I planned to address this very subject of parenthood on my blog at: http://pjmonolog.blogspot.com/

    Congratulations and HANG IN THERE!

    W.C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dad looks kind of scared.... Your mom looks so excited! I'm so happy for you!

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.