Wednesday, March 26, 2014

“Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: "What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . ."” ― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

I didn't see my friends a lot when I lived by them in Omaha.  But now, for some reason, being further away from them and not having the ability to go out to dinner with them or see them for events makes my heart heavy.  I struggle everyday not to nag them to death about when they are going to visit.  Every email or text I have to delete the line "so let's get something on the calendar, when do you want to come out?"  I don't want to force anyone out here, I mean, I hardly saw you when I lived in town!

Yesterday I ventured out all by myself.  Well with the kids too.  The point is, I decided to go couponing.  I talked the kids into it with the promise of new balls and play-doh.  When it came time to vacate the room for housekeeping (who subsequently never came and I had to sit downstairs and extra hour after asking them to clean) I threw the kids in the car and fired up the GPS and we were off.  I was only nervous once, when the GPS didn't tell me in time to go left or right and I had to screetch across three lanes to turn left.  In the end with coupons I only spent 22 bucks for the whole day and came home with a good sized haul.  Mostly free wipes, which I always say I don't need but let's be real, I went thru a pack this week!

I should take the kids out today and let them play in the warm weather.  I wish there was a better place to let Evie ride her bike and Lukas run and fall.  The field behind the hotel is covered in dog bombs and brambles and thorns.

Lukas is starting to turn from a sweet little boy into a destructive heartbreaker.  He's started to refuse to hold my hand and spends most of his day smashing things or destroying them.  *sigh*  Its so frustrating because I feel like I've done something wrong as a mom, I'm pretty adamant about no hitting and hugs and kisses and lately Lukas has turned to straight out punching to get attention.  Instead of playing with toys he stomps them.  He's obsessed with wearing his tennis shoes and I usually have to wait until he is asleep to take them off.

In a completely different vein, here are some things I've wondered so far about Colorado-

Why are there so few trees?  Is it the desert thing?  Because there is a whole area on my map called the "Black Forest" and I find it hard to believe that trees can exist over there but not in my new yard.

Why is it so hard to find a speed limit sign?  I spent half of my adventure yesterday wondering what the hell the speed limit was.  I feel like I have a big "pull me over for a small offense" sign on the back of my car in the shape of my out of state license plate.

People are super friendly, seemingly happy, and skinny.  Where are all the chunky Coloradans hiding?

There are a surprising lack of Walmarts and a disturbing number of Targets.

The WIND!  The WIND!  Why is the wind so horrible?!?!  And random?  Why don't the weather reports mention that today you are going to have your car door blown shut on your leg?

Love (brave moments),
Carrie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.