Thursday, October 21, 2010

A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking.

Today's quote was said by Jerry Seinfield.  I used to watch his show.  I didn't really get into the cult love of it.  But I love bookstores, so I used this one.

Because I don't have a lot of time, and I don't have a lot to say today, I decided, at least until the election is over, I'm going to post some of my favorite recipes for you all to try.  Then you can tell me how it went. 
Plus I already have this recipe all typed up for a friend.  This one is the BEST.

I've never found one like it on the net, Italian Bob gave it to me.
1 gallon of whole milk
1 quart of 1/2 and 1/2
1 quart of water
3 tablespoons of sugar

Using a large heavy pot, combine all the above ingredients
Using a candy thermometer, heat to 75 degrees then add 3 tablespoons of salt.
Let cook to 200 degrees stirring continuously

Mix
1 quart of buttermilk
4 tablespoons of vinegar

Add to the mixture in the pot when it has reached 200 degrees

Stir the whole mixture LIGHTLY in the pot over LOW HEAT until the mixture cracks and is ready to boil
Bring mixture back up to 200 degrees.

Take the mixture off the heat when at 200 degrees.  Cool but do not stir for 20 to 30 minutes

Spoon out with a slotted spoon, cheese cloth, or sieve and leave a little bit of water with the finished ricotta so it doesn't get to dry.

Yields 4lbs and will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator, 6 months in the freezer.

Love (cheese),
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.