Saturday, May 15, 2010

Weekend post

I finally got a minute to myself...okay that's a lie. I may be feeding a child while I do this, but anyway it's kind of to myself and I wrestled the new laptop away from Seth. Also a lie, my father distracted him with fixing my parent's laptop, which apparently has the virus from hell on it. My husband is over in the corner muttering "what the hell is this thing?" under his breath over and over. So it's safe to assume I have the new laptop for as long as the battery will hold out.

My mom left for Europe today. I'm insanely jealous, but Seth says we are taking a family vacation to Europe next summer. I wonder who he thinks is going to plan that, probably the lady that stays at home with the kiddos. If I'm lucky my Mom will help. Seth really wants to see Europe and I really want a vacation. I also want my honeymoon but he just laughs and changes the subject.

I'm proud to announce that as of tomorrow, I did one week of meal planning and keeping my Mother's Day resolution. It was relatively easy, but I did spend a lot of money in groceries it seems this week, plus a trip to Sam's Club to get the cheese for Lasagna. It really helps that two nights a week I can give Seth leftovers and plan for myself. We will see how next week goes though, and in two weeks he doesn't have class for the rest of the summer. He has a lot of deadlines at work though so who knows when he will get home. I'll keep you posted on my progress. This week I had leftovers on Monday, Tuesday we had my Mom's election party, Wednesday I had leftovers, Thursday we had nachos, Friday we had Chicken and ricotta gnocchi with homemade ricotta and gnocchi thanks to Holly who came over and held the baby while I cooked the ricotta and went shopping with me (thanks Holly!). I made the food at my Mom's house while random people there held Evie and we gave my Mom a send off. Tonite we are having hamburgers and fries and broccoli. And tomorrow I'm going make lasagna with the rest of the ricotta and hopefully a yellow cake with buttercream frosting from a recipe in the paper. And by me I mean Seth. He's really the baker in this family.

When my grandpa died the church had a luncheon after the church service for all of the mourners. I was sitting there and noticed all the old church ladies were the ones who prepared and served the food. I wondered, is this a dying art? I don't know anyone my age who does this. This week I'm pleased as punch to say that I signed up for my Mom's "Member Care" program at her church. They send out an email requesting meal help for members and you email back if you can make something. Then you deliver it to the church and they take care of the rest. My Mom's church even delivers meals for people who got out of the hospital or are sick. When my Mom had her surgery they brought by meals, it was nice. So anyway I'm excited to cook for that when I get a chance. I figure how hard is it to make a pasta salad or some rolls or a main course? We shall see.

Speaking of my Mom, and I can't believe I didn't lead with this-but she won the primary! How exciting! Now it's kinda of a lull until August and they kick up for the general election. She is the leading democrat and she is running against a republican named Jim Smith. It's all very cool. I really wanted to take a picture of her name on the screen but Evie was pitching a fit of epic proportions so we had to take her home. But anyway its really cool and I'm very proud of her. I however, do not skate by in helping this next round, I got put in charge of her facebook page and in charge of finding old photos of her serving and getting those scanned and up.

Alright food is almost ready! Hope you all are having a relaxing wonderful weekend!!

Love (weekends of planned relaxation),
Carrie

1 comment:

  1. If you do come to Europe next summer, you are welcome to stay with us for a few days and save some money on hotels. We are in a great location for train travel! We will have a guest room in the place we will be renting. Congratulations to your mom! She would be a great legislator! Very knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.