Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm still home sick in bed because I can't get my low grade fever to go away for 24 hours, which is what I have to do before I can go back to work. But Seth has been staying home with me too because he's still a little sick, except he can work from home. And I just have nightmares about work. But he isn't using this laptop yet so I thought I'd sneak in a blog post because I owe you all one!

Our pediatrician
So we found ourselves a pediatrician, thanks to my fabulous physical therapist Kelly. His name is Dr. John Vann and he is fantastic, which I should have known because he was recommended by the equally awesome Kelly. He's just all about kids, and he gave us presents. Some of the things he said that really stood out to us is that we can call him at home anytime, his wife is a pediatric nurse so she can help us too if he isn't there, he will be at the hospital everyday Evelynn is at the hospital after she is born, she does 30 minute wellness check appointments, and he dresses to impress the kids. He also used football analogies for Seth (he loves Nebraska football) and he appreciates my lack of internal filter (he is lacking one himself). His office is a little scary and old, but he decorates it with toys and pictures and I'm sure kids love it. I'm excited for him to be a part of Evie's life. So yeah! We got something done this week!

My doctor's appointment
Funniest thing EVER. So yesterday they inform me there is a med student, and of course Seth is about to tell them not to bring him in and I'm like yeah it's okay whatever, because I'm sick and I really don't care. Guess who it is? Mmm-hmm, Jason the med student from last week. You should have seen the look of pure terror on his face when he slid the door back and it was me. To his credit though, he is getting a tiny bit better. He warmed his deathy ice hands this time before putting them on Evelynn, then she got pissed because it wasn't a very good attempt so she kicked the heck out of him. Dr. Carlson came in and checked me out and informed me that I have a viral infection and there really isn't anything I can do about it except rest, drink lots of water, and wait it out. She checked out Evelynn and she's doing good, but she is exactly the same as she was last week, one cm and 25% effaced. I have a feeling we will be here a while because after we got all checked out we discussed the "birth plan" which was really us just saying that we trusted her judgment and to give me more drugs that Mick Jagger and her telling us that she will do everything she can to let me go naturally. Since the Olson center is one of the only places in Nebraska with licensed midwives, they tend to take a we won't induce and we won't do a c-section unless we have to approach. She quoted all these figures of how that is better for the baby, and I've heard that induction SUCKS so I as okay with that. But that means that I could possibly go two weeks past my due date which I don't want to do at all. I wanted this baby out YESTERDAY. So that put me in a foul mood. So that was not what I wanted to hear.

So I've been sick
At the beginning of the week, I'll admit, I felt gross but nothing I couldn't handle, I more stayed home because Seth was super bad and I was worried about him. But then Tuesday night I started throwing up and having the runs. On top of that I have a cough and when it gets into one of those coughing fits I either pee my pants, throw up, or have a Braxton Hicks contraction. So not the best feeling ever. I'm hoping to at least get one day of work in tomorrow. Oh and Evelynn hates when I cough. Seth thinks he brought something back from DC but I think he caught it at the gym.
Hopefully I can get back to work tomorrow. Saturday Seth's parents want to come down for a couple hours and visit me because they said they haven't seen me in four weeks. I hope they take us for dinner because I am so not up to cooking!

Other not too exciting things
I missed the breast feeding class because I was sick, but in the bag of awesome stuff our pediatrician gave us there is a DVD about breastfeeding and your first days home with your baby that covers all the stuff we missed out on from our Child birthing class because Vodka/Sex and his ridiculous questions ate up most of our time. So once we get a chance I will watch that.

Alright
My smelly bed (I swear I'm going to change the sheets tomorrow) is beckoning me back for a nap because I have a cough headache, but I thought I'd drop in and say hello, so HELLO! *waves*

Love (to see what color Evie's eyes are),
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. I breastfed both of mine, but am def. not one of the bf'ing nazis. If you have any questions feel free to message me. The first one totally stinks. They will tell you it shouldn't hurt if you are doing it right, but that is a big fat lie. I asked the Lactation nurse at the hospital why it hurt, and she said of course it hurts, it's like putting a hoover on your nipple. It gets better, and every week it doesn't hurt as much, but it hurts til about 3 months out. Also, I was induced with Brett and then had an emergency c-section, probably b/c I was induced. I had Krista completely naturally, but in 45 minutes. If you have any questions pertaining to induction/c-section/natural childbirth, just message me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kelly!! I totally will, you are one of the only people who I know who has kids that did, or at least has told me about it!!
    Do you think it's possible to pump instead of breastfeed directly or is that harder?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.