Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day or my weekend recap...

Happy Monday everyone!
I know most of you aren’t having the best Monday ever-because Monday’s in general are not all that great.
This may be my only blog of the day because my trainer is back (but not in yet) so I’m banging this out really quick until she shows up.
I’m starting to wish I worked for the government-they get today, and some of them get tomorrow off! I think of all the federal holidays-Inauguration Day should definitely be one! I mean, come on, this is the start of our new government. If Obama’s ceremony is blocked from streaming on our internet here-I might just go home. Seth says I can DVR it. But it’s 6 hours long! I don’t have that kind of space!! :-)
But I may have to, because my boss isn’t in today-so I can spend hours nagging him that I should get it off.
So here is what we did this weekend. Friday my Dad (who is the best) came and picked me up after work and took me over to my Mom’s for her party. I had a really nice time meeting people from her work that I hadn’t met before. Seth showed up about 8:30 because his project at work broke, but by then the party had wound down to the regulars. We left around 11:30 and got Taco Bell on the way home. Which means we completely broke Kathy and Dan’s, no eating out for a month rule! Dang! We were like 2 days in! :-)
Saturday we went to Sam’s Club and Wal-mart. Nothing exciting there. Then we got some dinner and went home (does it count Kathy if you use a gift card??) Seth spent most of the weekend fixing Chet’s computer and breaking and re-fixing ours. So he spent most of the weekend in the office. I read and did the laundry and watched some tv and movies. I watched “Invasion” which wasn’t bad, and “Revolution Road” I think it was called, but I was only like 6 minutes into that, but it was REALLY good from what I saw before I had to get ready to go see Geraldine Brooks speak.
Sunday I woke up and made my first “big breakfast” which is huge for me because I HATE breakfast and I’m never up that early for it. I made pancakes, bacon, and eggs and here is what I learned:

1. I need a new flat griddle pan-mine is gross and bowed and the pancakes pool in the corners.
2. Making bacon in a pan is HARD and MESSY and GROSS. It is easier made in the microwave.
3. Kittens+syrup does not end well
4. Kittens+bacon does.
5. Seth loves big breakfasts
6. I need more practice at making big breakfast’s

I LOVED hearing Geraldine Brooks speak. She spoke about how she writes and what she does is find a topic that is mostly truthful, and where the truth ends-she starts her fiction. She waits until she hears a voice-the voice of the main character or one of the characters and then goes from there, just listening to the voice. That really stuck with me because I’ve heard that from time to time, the made up person in my head telling a story and I didn’t know what to do with it, now I do (write it down!). She also talked about how the people in her books are like real people to her and she misses them when they are gone. I’ve heard J.K. Rowling talk like that too about her characters. So that really helped me a lot. Thanks for taking me Mom!
I got home and Chet was there waiting for Cheeto to call him to study and watching football with Seth (Yay-go Steelers! I’m so excited for Mike T the coach-I love his back story-and that’s what I love about football-the stories, so YAY HIM and his team!) and Seth had like massively cleaned the house and the kitchen which was SO NICE. He mopped and everything. What a good husband.
I unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it. And then went to take a bath and finish my book. I had a lovely bath and then went to get ready for bed when I started to feel BAD. Like super bad. I started to get the WORST sinus headache and hot and cold flashes. Then I felt really queasy. I took some IB and a pepto pill for my tummy and tried to go to sleep. I woke up a couple hours later and the queasiness was gone but it was the strangest thing. I fell fine now, but I’m pretty sure I had death-or at least it felt that way for 4 hours last night.
There are a lot of people out sick today! Yikes! I hope I don’t have what they have (unless I have it tomorrow, so I can stay home and watch O.B. get it done!)
On another note, the radio show I listen to played Tupac’s “Changes” on the way to work this morning and he had this line “And although it seems heaven sent, We ain't ready, to see a black President” and I thought-wow, look how far we’ve come. Even Tupac’s dreams are coming true. And then I bawled, and the security gate guards have officially labeled me the CRAZY girl because I was listening to Tupac and crying.
On that note-If I’m not back today-I’ll talk to you all tomorrow on Inauguration day! Hooray!

2 comments:

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.