Tuesday, November 3, 2009

There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology - the tendency to do what is reasonable even when it isn't any good.

Hi there world. Happy Tuesday. I’m not really sure Tuesday’s are happy. At least not for me, for one it’s a heavy workload day and for two I keep thinking its Wednesday and am sorely disappointed every time I find out it’s not.

Note on Evelynn’s nickname
We are currently having a family debate about how to spell Evelynn’s nickname. The contenders are “Evie”, “Evy”, and “Evey”. My mom points out there is no “I” in her name and “y’s” are more fun to write. I agree. But the other two options look a little weird. One doesn’t pronounce correctly (Evy) and the other looks strange (Evey). Voice your opinion below. At the moment Seth and I are swayable.

Last night
Last night I tried to be such a good wife. If you forgot, this is a very stressful week for Seth. He has a BIG MEETING at work. He even bought a suit for it. And fancy dress shirts. So I’m trying to keep little things out of his hair. For example, last night I picked up his dry cleaning at the Max I Walker drive thru cleaner-which is a LIE. You don’t drive thru-you drive into a garage, and park. There is even a big sign that says shut off your engine. Then some mopey looking teenager comes out and acts like it’s a giant inconvenience to run your ticket and get your dry cleaning since you came thru the drive thru. Which isn’t even a drive thru! Then she awkwardly throws your dry cleaning thru your window and you struggle with where to put it since all the hangy hooks are in the back of the car. In the end your contort your pregnant body into an uncomfortable position and your little girl kicks your guts and you make a weird ooph noise and the sullen teen looks at you like you just farted and you say thanks and drive away. Oh wait no you don’t because you have to wait for melancholy teen to push the button to open the garage, restart your car, and drive away.
On the bright side though, it’s only 13 bucks to clean a suit at Max I Walker Drive Thru (LIES-DRIVE AND PARK!)
After that I headed over to Kohl’s by my parents house (since I was going to be over in that neck of the woods anyway to meet them at bowling league) and tried to get Seth the watch he wanted. I walked in and JOY! They had it, and I had a coupon. 45 minutes later I walked out empty handed because the lady snapped off a pin while she was adjusting the links and broke it. THIS IS THE SECOND WATCH I’VE TRIED TO BUY ONLY TO HAVE TRAINED JEWELERY LADIES BREAK THEM. The brand I was trying to get was a Relic watch, and for some reason, I knew that JC Penny’s carried them. (Really I have no idea why I knew this) I headed over the JC Penny’s by my parents house. I go in and they have one like it. See Seth wants an “automatic” (kinetic energy driven) watch that shows all the working gears in black with a round face and metal band. They had a silver one, for much cheaper. I thought it would do, especially since it was cheaper and he loves that. I forewarned the lady and let her start taking the links out. Another 45 minutes went by and she got them out. I paid for the watch super pleased with myself. BEST WIFE EVER. I even picked up the hideous tie chain that Seth thinks is super classy (it’s not, its super 80’s). Since my parents were running late and I didn’t want to sit at the bowling alley by myself, I decided to get one last errand out of the way and I went to Bed Bath and Beyond to get the recliner cover for Evelynn’s rocking chair that her Uncle Jesse gave her for her room. There were some uncomfortable stains that dried funny and super hard, so I’m hoping this will work and we can keep the chair. Anyway I picked that up and headed over to meet my parents.
My Dad was super cute, he asked how his “girls” were doing. Mom showed everyone at the alley the pictures from the ultrasound and told the story of how they made me pee 4 times. It was a lot of fun and I was really excited. (PS about those ultrasound pictures…yeah maybe tonite)
I left there a little before 8 and checked my gage and saw it would be in my best interest to get gas on my way home. I debated it right until the turn. I had enough gas to make it to work and back, but I’d have to get gas today on my way home. I decided since I was out already, and being the best wife ever, I would stop myself. I did that and headed home.
At home I cleaned up the kitchen, made lunches, took a bath, and collapsed into bed. My back hurt really bad and I was WRECKED. I just laid and stared at the TV until Seth came home.
The best wife ever even got her lucky husband some dinner at the bowling alley (Thanks Mom and Dad!) so he had good eats when he got home from class. He ate and then opened his watch. This is the point where stuff starts to fall apart. Of course the damn thing didn’t work. We tried everything. We swung it around 100 times, we went online. And of course, he doesn’t really like it as much as the black one, so Wednesday I have to take it back and try to track down the black one at another Kohl’s in town. Also, he didn’t need lunch because he didn’t get a chance to eat today. And he couldn’t believe how much the recliner cover cost. We don’t even know if it fits because I wasn’t about to risk it with the way things were falling apart.
I ended up just laying there comatose waiting until THE WORLD’S LONGEST FOOTBALL GAME got over and we could go to bed.
The end.

Today
This morning I tried to convince Seth to have a stay home and cuddle day. I promised grand things but he didn’t take. I’m so tired. On the plus side, it’s light in the mornings again so I am not AS worried about smashing into a deer on my way to work. I’m hoping the day flies by (it’s not yet) and I can get home before he does and take a nap so that I don’t kill him with sharp things because he wouldn’t consent to a cuddle day.

Evelynn’s blog
Evey (Evie? Evy?) is slow to wake up this morning too. I fed her apple juice, a granola bar, and two brownie bites someone at work gave me. She’s just starting to move around. She is KILLING my back though. Yesterday Seth and I picked out her nursery bedding and put it on the registry. Then I had a little mental break trying to figure out what else I needed to put on there. So all you Mom readers out there, if you have any must have items, please let me know. I’m not even sure what is kosher to put on there. Like the pack n play or the stroller? I mean I know for a fact that people at my shower aren’t going to buy me 150+ dollar items. I did put the Dr. Brown’s bottles on there (Thanks Mel!!). And a drying rack. Also a wipe warmer, which if I were here, I’d want warm wipes, I’m just sayin. Any other ideas? Have you guys been to showers? What do you usually buy for them, what kind of price range? I’ve never really been to one so I don’t know…

This weekend
We just made plans to watch the Nebraska Game and possibly Transformers 2 (depending on the time) with Cheeto and Whitney on Saturday-but way more exciting-we are having nachos. I mean I’m totally jazzed to see the Asche’s, but I’m even more jazzed that we are eating NACHOS. Have I sang the praises of nachos to you yet? Seriously, nachos rock.

And now for the main show
Alright friends, I have to work. Actually I have to eat a cheese stick and then work. Either way, I need to wrap this up. I hope you have a super fantastic day, and I hope my day flies by.

Love (cheese sticks),
Carrie

5 comments:

  1. Evy= makes me want to say eh-vee
    Evie= eevee

    Lots of nicknames are made up on letters not in the original name: betty, lizzie, niki, peggy, chrissy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not just call her Evie or Evy instead of trying to make up a nickname? You might find yourself using her full name instead of the nickname. I call my daughter by her full name versus the nickname that everyone else calls her and really everyone in our family calls her the full name versus the nickname. Just something to think about. I know you have this full thought out process about why her name should be Evelyn but if you like the nickname better, stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Anonymous- I grew up without a nickname, besides Poo, because I apparently crapped a lot, so I want to give her a nickname that doesn't suck and establish it now.
    I was always jealous of people who had formal longer names and could shorten them. I knew I always wanted to name my kids a longer name that could be shortened for sports teams and also for when they were in trouble I could use their FULL NAMES so they knew it!
    I'm also VERY attached to calling her Evelynn. (it's with two "n's" to represent her grandmothers) that has been her name since before she even miraculously appeared in our lives. :-)
    And I think everyone is right, we should just stick with Evie, my mom is going to have to either spell it wrong her whole life like my grandma did with my brother or change. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too could never shorten my name. :-/
    Damn elizabeths and their endless supply of nicknames!!!!


    buuttt, you know, it reminds me of evelyn from rw/rr

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.