Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Books! Books! Books! or why I need more bookshelves...

Hi All!
I’m back again because I’m bored and a LOVELY reader has asked me my opinion on books- *preen* and SHE COMMENTED. I am so very excited. Hi Jess! *waves*
So to answer the big question-what books I like to read.
First off a note about how I approach bookstores-
When I go into a large book store (by the way Book-a-million on L is my favorite at the moment) I stick strictly to the clearance section, because those books are WAY overpriced, and unless there is an author I ADORE (JK Rowling, Joshilyn Jackson, Gregory Maguire, Kate Mosse) I won’t pay full price for a book. So I stick to the clearance section because usually you can get good books there for under five dollars, and if you are willing to wait a couple months, the bookstores usually put their overstock of bestsellers there for under 6 bucks. Anyway that is how I approach bookstores. Once I get to the clearance aisle, I usually try to find books that the covers and first couple pages appeal to me.
That being said, I mostly read historical fiction. It’s kind of like great stories based loosely on fact. Some of the best movies are made from historical fiction. The Godfather movies are based on a historical fiction book.
Mostly I try to move regions, right now I am in “France” meaning I’ve been reading books that take place in France. I have a stack of books waiting to be read that take place entirely in Latin America (which when I read this region, I always want it to be summer REALLY bad). Normally though, you will find me in Europe, since I used to live there and all, it feels like home when I read there.
My “fun” books, meaning my books that I read in the bathroom or the tub or the car or at lunch at work are short chapter books that are sappy and usually are about some family that looks perfectly normal and is perfectly screwed up, and they offer TONS on insight on dealing with that perfectly screwed up. They are usually pretty damn funny too.
I also have a soft spot for Mauve Binchy who writes lovely stories about people in Ireland, which I love because my grandma took me on a trip there as a present when I graduated from high school and I secretly want to live there forever. The woman has written a TON of books and they are sappy and perfectly Irish. So I never run out of books. Seriously she has written a TON (I hyperlinked that for you because it’s seriously a list of Maeve Binchy books).
I’ve only ever read one self help enlightenment book and it’s the only one I ever want to read. It’s called Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It changed the way I thought about EVERYTHING.
So what am I reading right now? Well from what I can remember from work here is what I’m reading-
Sepulchre by Kate Mosse- wonderful book. I’m thisclose to finishing it. It’s one of those time jumper books where a character from the past is affecting a character from the future. This is the one that takes place in France.

The Miss America Family by Julianna Baggott-this is my fun one, its pretty frank. I’d tell you what just happened where I am at in the book, but I’d be ruining it for you. I’m reading it in the bathtub.

The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther- I’m two pages into this, I can’t really tell you much about it, but its about a mother who is Iranian and her daughter while the struggle to live in England and learn how to adapt and change.
That reminds me of another type of book I like, I think, because of my background as a Army Brat, I like to read books about people adapting and changing to different living situations. Lately most of the books you will find on this subject are Middle Eastern peoples trying to adapt to American or English life. It’s interesting for me to see an outsider’s perspective on America and Americans. The struggle to adapt and fit in and become productive in a society where you hardly speak the language intrigues me. It also helps me to understand that people do that everyday and sometimes the little things you do for a person can make their whole lives. I remember this one book I read recently “Even after all this time” and in the book and American family invites the girl in the book to their house for dinner and that simple act endured her to this family and being American. So I like reading books like this.
Here are some others from my Valentine’s Day shopping adventure I got and can tell you nothing about:

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (historical fiction)
The Collectors by David Baldacci
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
Used World by Haven Kimmel
Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy

Here are some other books I’ve read that I’ve LOVED:
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds (anything by this woman-she is GREAT)
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
Anything by Ken Follett
Melissa Banks books, she writes a good “I’m screwy because of my family” book
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
Anything by Homer Hickam

We could be here for days…
I hope this helps! I will try to write down my book stacks when I get home tonite for you all, or at least take a picture so you know the kind of crazy Seth has to live with!!

Love (of books),
Carrie

4 comments:

  1. Haha, wow I wish I read that much. I say I will then don't. My excuse for not reading now is the wedding invites I have to make, yet I haven't touched in invites in a week. I think I own 4 books, and I've never read them. I couldn't even tell you what they are! I'll def. have to check into some of those though, they sound interesting and it's my goal for this year to read more! Where in Europe are you from?? How did you end up here? (I'm thinking Army??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually have an excel spreadsheet of all the books i want to read. have you considered *cough cough* a library card?? we have a great library near us that is a sister library with four other libraries in the area, so they can get us pretty much any book we are interested in. have fun with your reading!

    jenifriend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about Ken Follett Dad! Thanks!
    Also Dan Brown and Lisa See.

    Jeni-what is your blog? Can you send me the link? And I would love to go to the library if they would let me write in the books and keep them forever. I have this inert need to write all my thoughts and reactions in the margins and then gaze at them longingly on my bookshelf!

    Jess-I loved in Belgium and Germany (Wiesbaden and Darmstadt) when I lived in Europe, and yes, it's because I'm the proud daughter of a Army Mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.