Monday, April 20, 2009

History is more or less bunk.

Hello World!
I am going to the doctor today at 11:30-okay that’s a lie, I’m going at 2 but I’m going home early to hopefully catch a burrito and a nap before being assaulted at the doctors office. Yeah it’s THAT yearly doctor’s appointment.
So here’s a quick weekend recap for you:

Friday
Friday night I got off work and went home and wrapped (read-threw into gift bag, which I feel guilty about) and grabbed the pasta salad I made for my Dad’s 50th birthday party. Seth came home on time (I almost fell over from shock) and I even remembered to grab the video “recorder” my mom wanted me to bring.
*sidebar* My mom and I had this conversation on my way home from work:
Mom: Hey! Are you going to bring the video recorder tonite?
Me: The what?
Mom: The video recorder!
Me: We don’t have one of those, we gave it to the vets.
Mom: We just gave you that for Christmas before the wedding! What do you mean you gave it to the vets!?
Me: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??
Mom: Why are you just giving away presents I give you (launches into long chastising of me never really liking presents she gives me)
Me: Mom, seriously?
Mom: (almost sobbing) I just wanted to record the moment your Dad sees the four wheeler-your Dad and I don’t have many other things to record
Me: Do you mean the video CAMERA?? Jesus, that was a long way around…
Mom: Don’t use the Lord’s name in vain!
*end sidebar*
We made it to Dad’s party (a little late because I couldn’t decide what shirt to wear) and we went with everyone out to the garage and waited for him to open the garage door and see his present-a death machine, I mean 4 wheeler. We had fun riding on it (Dad drove me around and Seth drove Kathy) and ate good food and talked with friends, much too late into the night!

Saturday
Saturday I woke up early and Seth drove me over to St. Paul’s United Methodist Church in Benson (Seth used to live in Benson, for you non-O-towners, it’s a suburb.) and I hung out with my mom and the UMW ladies. It was fun, those ladies are a hoot and it was nice to spend time with my mom and see her really enjoy her fellowship with the women. We give her a lot of crap about spending so much time with Jesus but when you hang out with these ladies, you can see why they do it, its like having 200 grandma’s who all care about you and want to talk to you about mundane things in your life most people are sick of hearing about (like your wedding). I was SORELY disappointed in the UMW ladies lunch though-come on, where are the casseroles?? We had soup and sandwiches.
Saturday was the first day it really felt like spring, I think it was because we slept with the window open and when we woke up it was overcast and rainy but still nice to have the window open.
Saturday night we had Seth’s childhood friend Ty and his fiancée Holly over for supper. We threw it together at the last minute. Like literally an hour before they came we were still arguing over what to make. I wanted to make sweet potato and black bean quesadillas and roasted tomato soup and Seth wanted to grill. We ended up doing meats on the grill, campfire potatoes (much better in individually wrapped sizes-they cook much faster and have more flavor), and grilled balsamic soaked asparagus. Ty and Holly brought a salad. We tried to give them lots of wedding and married advice (they asked!) and then we played Apples to Apples where the ladies DOMINATED.
They left about 11 and we stayed up entirely too late eating ice cream and watching the DVR.

Sunday
Sunday we woke up around 10:30 (which you would think would count as sleeping in, but we went to bed at 4, so it totally doesn’t) and Seth was gung ho for remodeling and I was gung ho for NOT remodeling (I am so SICK of remodeling) I threw a fit and stomped off outside to play with the cats. I found my gardening gloves in the hose house and from there decided to pick up the yard once and for all. We had some GIANT (I mean these things were dead body big) black plastic bags left over from when we moved from Sioux Falls (I used the bags for linens and pillows and other things that were soft but needed to be protected). I filled four of them up with pine needles and tree limbs we trimmed. I also got the trash can pretty full, but since they don’t like when you put yard waste in the can, I discreetly covered it with house trash. I moved about 12 erroneous bricks placed all over our yard to the back of the tool shed until we decide what to do with them. I cleaned out flower beds and sprinkled wildflower seeds (a dollar for a can at Target) all over the beds and around the trees. And I got out some large flower boxes I found behind the tool shed and filled them with dirt and herb seeds, hopefully my herb garden will be better this year. I even managed to mark the pots so I know what’s in them, instead of last year where we wrote it all down and then transplanted after the move and the only one we could figure out was basil. Then Seth helped me load up the truck with all my yard waste and we drove it to my parents (thanks guys!) to put it on the burn pile. Then we went to Menards in Bellevue (another suburb, out of O peeps) and wandered around for what felt like HOURS. I got some more seeds and some garden tools, Seth got the stuff to put my rabbit fence up. I seriously think we might (fingers crossed) get our garden in this weekend, if Seth can get the rotor tiller from my parents. I told him I wanted to do starter plants instead of seeds this year and he agreed. Hopefully Wal-Mart is selling starter veggies. Then to be super nice, my super great husband had me order Old Chicago to go on the way home, we swung by and got it and then went home to finish the DVR and crash into bed.

So that was my weekend! How was yours? How disgusting is it that it is going to be 84 two days this week? BOOOO SUMMER!

Love (to be getting excited about my garden)
Carrie

3 comments:

  1. I was excited for the 84 degree weather. I keep having nightmares it's going to snow on our wedding May 9th haha.Do you have any tips on a little herb garden? I live in an apt but wanted to put some in some flower boxes on our deck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First put in herbs that you know you will use in cooking. I also put in lavendar, chamomille, and mint. Sometimes I tie bundles of them together and put them in baths instead of bubble bath, plus they smell really good if you bring them into the house.
    I only do flowerboxes of herbs, I don't transplant them. I haven't figured out how I am going to help them in the winter.
    I usedseeds and check them everyday, even if its to go out there and make sure the soil is moist and to see how much they are growing!
    And make sure you actually use the herbs if it gets too big trim it down, herbs are notorious for over growing and choking out the other plants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a side note, since you mentioned lavender... Lavender is supposed to keep rabbits away. I think I'm going to strategically plant some to try to keep them out of our backyard!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.