Thursday, April 30, 2009

Virtue is its own punishment.

Look I’m coming thru on a promise!
Okay so here is the first installment of bookshelf review, and if you want, send me you bookshelf or post your own book shelf review on your blogs! Make sure to link me in the comments so I can see yours!

Left side of top shelf-


The first book is Hunger's Brides: A Novel of the Baroque by Paul Anderson it’s about Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz and how her work affected a fictional set of people. I have only read the first three chapters, it’s a tough one!
The next one is Alexander II: The Last Great Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky and Antonina Bouis and it’s about Alexander II of Russia, a life history. It was really good. If you are into Historical Russian history (yeah, I didn’t think so) I’d recommend it.
The next two are some of Seth’s nerd books
After those two is Mary, Called Magdalene by Margaret George this one is my Mom’s and I have it to read because I read her historical fiction of Helen of Troy (the book that goes in the missing space) and really liked it. I haven’t gotten to this one yet.
The next one is a GREAT book The Red Tent: A Novel by Anita Diamant I highly recommend this one. I learned so much! It’s about the biblical character of Dinah, but it is historical fiction so it elaborates the story a lot.
The next one is Freddy and Fredericka by Mark Helprin and I started this one, but it was right in the middle of our move to Sioux Falls and I haven’t gotten back to it yet.
The last one in this picture is Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell: A Novel by Susanna Clarke and I have heard GREAT things about this book, but haven’t gotten to it yet. It’s about fairies and magic stuff so it might not be to all your tastes. I think I’m going to take this one on vacation because I came across it AGAIN in a blog by an author I like and I want to see what all the hub-bub is about.
On the top of this stack you can see People of the Book: A Novel by Geraldine Brooks which you may remember I saw her speak (check out the blog post here or here) and this is my grandma’s signed copy I should really get back to her…J

Right side of top shelf

The first one is Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII by Jean Plaidy this is a GREAT series by an author I really like. She does all the queens of the world, I think the lady is dead now, but the way she personifies and bring life to an otherwise dull historical character. These types of historical fictions is what made me fall in love and want to be a history major, because even though most people think history is boring, it’s the mere fact that these people had full lives and grand experiences that most history books never cover, like how Katharine felt when Henry dumped her for Anne Boylen, that’s where historical fiction comes in, and for me, draws me in.
Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman the next in the list is my mom’s, which I should probably give back. Its about a family man, well loved by his town and family who has a secret crime he committed that no one can believe and the journey he, his family, and his town take to the unveiling of that crime and realizing one of their beloved is to blame.
Sepulchre and Labyrinth by Kate Mosse are great books. I highly recommend them. This is a GREAT writer. (I have blogged about Sepculchre before here and here)
The next two books are two of my favorites, I always have these books near me, I can’t remember exactly why, but when I was a teen, reading these two books changed the way I thought about a lot of things. They are The Rapture Of Canaan and A Gracious Plenty: A Novel amazing books. They are both about women who live in isolated worlds and have something happen to them where they are introduced to the rest of the world. They are very visual. Every time I hear anything from the Sarah McLaughlin “Surfacing” album, I think of these books because I was listening to it the first time I read them and it imprinted on me.
The next three books are ones my grandma lent me, because I like the movie “Mists of Avalon” these are the books it was based on. Daughter of the Forest (The Sevenwaters Trilogy, Book 1) by Juliet Marillier, Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, and Priestess Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana L. Paxson. I haven’t read them yet.
The next book is The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer and I love this book as a kid, and even today. I keep it there to remind me why I fell in love with books as a kid.
Then there is a world religions atlas from one of my history classes you can barely see. It’s very old.
On the top there is Gods, Graves & Scholars: The Story of Archaeology by C.W. Ceram another great historical reference. It made me want to be an archaeologist for like 2 years.
And the last book is Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb which is about a white woman being raised in Morocco and then having to migrate to London after the civil turmoil there. It is a good read too.

Well that’s it for today! Did you enjoy this theme? Let me know! I’ll continue if you like it!

Love (sharing books)
Carrie

3 comments:

  1. I like this theme! It's interesting to see what you read, too bad my bookshelves would look elementary to what you read! I like easier reads I guess you could say. Where's the Janet Evanovich and Harry Potter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Harry Potter and Twilight are on the second and third shelves! I'll do those tomorrow! Did you like the remodel pictures I put up for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I did!! It's nice to actually see what you've been talking about! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts and comments below-I'd love to read them! But if you're dirty spammy comments, I'm going to delete you.